Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Can ativan mask other medical problems

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Can ativan mask other medical problems

I started taking ativan this summer .25 - .5 mg to help me sleep.  Late in the summer I started having panic attacks and started taking more.  It varied by the day but never more 1.5 -2 mg in a 24 hour period. A couple weeks later the panic attacks went away and in September I went back to just taking it at night and .5 at most.  In November I stopped taking it at night.   A month later I was still having problems with shaking and racing heart.  I feel like I am having a constant surge of adreneline so walking up the stairs is intolerable and going from a walking to sitting postion is intolerable.  I have have so much adrenaline, I have to stand up.  Early January I took it a few nights to sleep (no more than .5) and all the day time shaking went away, racing heart went away and other misc symptoms.  I know there are endo problems that could cause my symptoms but would ativan mask them?
Age
:  
48
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
160
I would agree that you are likely not experiencing withdrawal symptoms from stopping your Ativan (lorazepam). Generally, if you've been taking lorazepam for a long time (usually ten days or more) there could be withdrawal symptoms after stopping lorazepam. The onset of withdrawal symptoms would usually start on the first day and last for 5- 7 days.  

Lorazepam is used to treat anxiety, and so by taking lorazepam this may reduce your daytime symptoms of anxiety. Lorazepam also has skeletal muscle relaxing effects, and anticonvulsant effects. This means lorazepam could reduce the incidence of seizure or involuntary muscle spasm. I would recommend you follow up with your doctor to determine the underlying cause of your daytime shaking, racing heart, and general sense of discomfort.
To clarify my post, I thought the shaking was a symptom of the withdrawl (withdrawal) but since I was off of it for 6 weeks, It seems that the withdraw should have gone away.  Thus, I am wondering if the ativan is masking another problem, as the panic attacks and stress that caused them are long gone.