Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Can you divide the dose of Testosterone from a 2 ml ampoule?

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

In my country there's not available testosterone 100mg.

We have only Testo-Enant 250 mg (in a 2 ml ampoule).

My relative needs to administer half of that dose (100-125 mg testosterone every week).

Can you get only 1 ml from the 2 ml ampoule of Testo-Enant that has 250 mg testosterone (does that 1 ml contain the half of the dosage = 125 mg testosterone?)

So he thinks:

1) opening the ampoule

2) getting the first 1 ml with a syringe the first week

3) closing the head of the ampoule with a wound dress (type of DuoDerm) to avoid contact of the solution with the air during the week

4) When the second week comes, using the last 1 ml from the same ampoule above. Then the third week opening a new ampoule of 250mg/2ml, getting the first 1 ml and so
on with the steps 3) and 4) forward.

My questions again:

- does 1 ml contain half the dosage of the ampoule? Does it contain 125 mg testosterone?

( 1 ampoule = 250 mg testoterone. The ampoule is a 2 ml solution of Testo-Enant.)

- any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Age
:  
52
Sex
:  
Male
Weight
:  
198 pounds
Medical Conditions
:  
Andropause
If the testosterone ampule you are using is of a strength 250mg/2mL, you should expect to receive a 125mg dose by drawing 1mL into a syringe. You may want to consult with your local pharmacist and/ or doctor if possible to ensure that you have the proper technique when drawing up a 1mL (125mg) dose.

I would recommend your friend disposes of the unused portion of the 2mL vial instead of attempting to use it for two injections. Re-using it in the manner you have described can increase the risk for contamination which could lead to serious infection if injected.