Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Chromium vs Chromium Polynicotinate?

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Chromium vs Chromium Polynicotinate?
Hi.

I've just begun researching Chromium as a supplement (blood sugar management and muscle gain/fat loss), and came across information that indicates that there might be a difference between Chromium and Chromium Polynicotinate.

Is there?

The reason I ask, in shopping for Chromium Polynicotinate, I found the following on the back of a bottle:

Chromium ....................................... ??? mcg
    (as Chromium Polynicotinate)

How should I interprete this?

Are they trying to pass off another form of (generic?) Chromium as Chromium Polynicotinate?

I want to make sure I obtain the most effective form of chromium possible.

Thanks, very much, for your answer.
You are correct there a number of different chromium products on the market. Chromium, along with many other supplements, requires the addition of a chelator to help the naturally occurring element (chromium) get absorbed well by the body.

A few examples of the different chelators are chromium citrate (chromium plus citric acid), chromium picolinate (chromium with picolinic acid), or chromium polynicotinate (chromium with nicotinate). If you find Chromium listed as an ingredient it will always be Chromium plus one of the various chelating agents, and not just chromium by itself. As far as labels go, 'Chromium Polynicotinate' = 'Chromium'.

Having Chromium and Niacin listed as separate ingredients would not be the same as Chromium Picolinate. Separately, (Niacin would be niacin and Chromium would be Chromium plus one of the chelators).

It can get very confusing, but with all of that said, per the National Institute of Health "...given the limited data on chromium absorption in humans, it is not clear which forms are best to take." They do mention chromium chloride appears to be poorly absorbed, so I would recommend you avoid that formulation when making your selection.

Addendum...

From what I've read, Chromium Polynicotinate is a chromium that's been chelated with niacin, which apparently distinguishes it from Chromium Picolinate.

So, if I find 'Chromium' or 'Chromium Picolinate' listed along with Niacin on the back of a bottle, does this equal Chromium Polynicotinate?

Thanks.

Thanks very much for your response.  It was very helpful.

Regards.