Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Comparable dosages for Lugol's and Atomidine

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

I am currently taking Atomidine for hypothyroidism. One drop contains 600 mcg. One drop of Lugol's contains 6.417 mg. It looks as though Lugol's is ten times more potent, but the formulation is different and I am no chemist. Please tell me what one drop of Lugol's is equal to in Atomidine. Also, which iodine do you think is more efficacious?, Thank you for your reply.
Age
:  
80
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
120
Current Medications
:  
Duoneb, iodine, zyrtec, Xanax (very rarely, maybe .25 a week), vitamin B5, mullein extract.
Drug Allergies
:  
none
Medical Conditions
:  
COPD, hypothyroidism, early stages of adrenal fatigue (high cortisol), panic attacks, now lessening. Adrenal problem was caused by Advair which I no longer take.
I do not know the exact conversion but I have read that Lugol's is stronger and better than Atomidine.
As a pharmacist, being a chemist, you should have been able to ascertain the exact conversion, although it might have taken a bit of your time. My father was a pharmacist, a fine researcher, and a wealth of information. Unfortunately I could not get this information from him because he is dead. To say that you "have read that Lugol's is stronger" than Atomidine was hardly helpful since my question indicated that I already knew that. I can read too. I was hoping for better information than what could be gotten on the internet.
Subscribers please note: For the nonscientific response above, from someone who presumes to be a  pharmaceutical chemist, I was charged $15. The only information she gave me, was what I gave her. I contacted MedHelp expressing my dissatisfaction and did not receive a reply.
There are 2 strengths of Lugol's, 2% and 5%, the conversion to atomidine would be:
Lugol's 2% contains 3.125mg iodine per drop = 5 drops atomidine
Lugol's 5% contains 6.25mg iodine per drop = 10 drops atomidine

Lugol's contains both iodine and potassium iodide (KI), but it is measured by the total iodine content. Lugol's is stronger than atomidine and the KI is a better source of iodine when taken for iodine deficiency.
Many, many thanks. This is the information I needed since it has been recommended that I switch from Atomidine to Lugol's.
I too wanted to know, how much a drop of Lugol's contains.  I am somewhat puzzled by your answer.  Shouldn't the 2% solution contain two fifths of the 5% solution, which would be 2.5mg per drop of the 2% solution?
Yes, you are right. But the 5% conversion is correct.
The conversion given above is correct based on information from the manufacturer. The measurements are approximations since the volume of a drop can vary depending on how much is drawn up or squeezed out of the dropper. The Lugol's 2% is actually a 2.2% concentration solution, but sometimes labeled as 2%.
Thank you for the clarification.