Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Cymbalta and Mentation

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Cymbalta and Mentation
I am a physician and was put on Cymbalta after my wife died.  Since then i had three medmal cases over 5 years and in one case, I justy can't explain what I was thinking (emergent situation, no planning involved)   Eventually i decided that maybe the meds were a factor.  Is there any evidence that Cymbalta can affect mentation?  I feel that I am thinking faster and clearer since I stopped taking Cymbalta.  I am down to 600mg of Neurontin at bedtime only.
Taking Cymbalta and Neurontin together has additive CNS depressive activity and in regards to Cymbalta, since it is an SNRI, the accumulation of serotonin can affect your mental status. That is related to its mechanism of action and when serotonin accumulates it can affect acuity and cause confusion.