Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Cymbalta and Wellbutrin causes tremors?

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Cymbalta and Wellbutrin causes tremors?
Hello and thanks for taking my question.

In July 2008 I switched over from Zoloft and Invega to Wellbutrin and Cymbalta.  At that time, these were my only medications.  In August 08, when I stood up from my chair, my legs had terrible tremors.  They were so bad that I had to hold onto the desk.  This still happens today.  I also experience leg tremors when descending stairs - but not going up.  I get minor tremors while going from a standing to a sitting position.  My right hand has started to tremor - kind of fast but mild. The leg tremors are fast and dramatic.  They occur more when fatigued.  Could Cymbalta and Wellbutrin cause these tremors? My MD has no answer.  The other meds listed above were started after the tremors began.  
In clinical trials of Cymbalta, tremor was not reported at the 20 mg per day dose, but with 60 mg per day or 60 mg twice daily the incidence of tremor was 1% and 5% of the participants respectively.

Frequent neurological side effects of Wellbutrin include tremor. The incidence of tremor is high; roughly 20% of patients reported tremor during clinical trials , compared to about 8% taking a placebo.
I forgot to mention the dosages of Cymbalta - 90mg, Wellbutrin - 300mg, Vyvanse - 70mg.

I also forgot to mention that I am suffering from debilitating fatigue and "brain zaps" that also started soon after beginning Cymbalta and Wellbutrin.
Thanks very much for the answer.  This data gives me something to talk to my doctor about.

Take care!

Curt