Diamox, elephant gun for mosquito problem
I was recently diagnosed with Meniere's desease and told to take diamox, I took acetazolamide (generic) and couldn't tolerate how tired it made me. I stopped taking it with doctors O.K. then  after being exposed to some high allergy (mold) stimulators had an acute case of vertigo.  I was told to take zyrtec.  Now I have a rash on my upper thighs.  Is it the generic zyrtec? Would the regular Zyrtec do the same?  Have you ever heard of Diamox being prescribed for Meneire's disease?  I find nothing in the literature about it and am hesitant to take it as it makes me very tired. I need to sleep about 3 hours a day when I take it.  I don't want to experience vertigo again.
The symptoms of Ménière's disease are often controlled successfully by reducing the body’s retention of fluids through dietary changes (such as a low-salt or salt-free diet and no caffeine or alcohol) or medication. Diamox has a diuretic effect and can decrease fluid retention.

Zyrtec (brand or generic) would have the same effect on you, it's often taken to prevent allergic reactions. People with sulfa allergies are sometimes allergic to Diamox, but if you were on Diamox for a few days without a reaction then it's unlikely the cause for the rash.
Thankyou Sandra,

That was helpful. It was after starting the zyrtec that I got the rash.  I guess it may be something else.  Is Zyrtec known to cause rashes?

Thanks again, CaroClara
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.