Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Does Nexium cause bone loss

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Does Nexium cause bone loss

I have acid reflex ... I've been taking Nexium for about 5 yrs and was taking Prilosec prior for a number of years.
Lately I've noticed that my spine is making a noise when I move while I'm setting down.  I read that Nexium interfers with the obsorption of drugs and vitamins, therefore diminishing the availability of calcium entering the system to support the bone structure.  If this is true, how can I prevent it from happening and is there another type of acid reflex medication that I can take that will do the job without robbing my bones from the calcium supply?  Thank you
Tags: Nexium
Age
:  
68
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
120
Current Medications
:  
Nexium, Benicar HTC, Toperol XL, Crestor
Drug Allergies
:  
Sulphur, Codine
Medical Conditions
:  
High Blood pressure, high LDL cholestrol
There is nothing in the manufacturer's literature regarding bone loss with Nexium. If the Nexium is diminishing your calcium supply then you may need to increase your calcium intake. First, I would suggest a bone density scan to make sure if your calcium levels are low or not and to measure the strength of your bones. Please discuss this issue further with your primary doctor.
I'm also confused. I've read that Nexium or any PPI does cause bone loss. Can you tell me if Nexium interfers with the obsorption of drugs and vitamins?

Thank you.
Nexium itself does not cause bone loss, but it may decrease the absorption of drugs and vitamins. Nexium may decrease the absorption of calcium and vitamin D leading to bone loss.