Doubts about cortisone cream to treat skin lesions caused by fungus?
I went to the dermatologist for a check up, as I had Dermatomycosis (skin fungus) for the last 7 months, I treated it with Ketaconozole Gel and it really worked but I have residual lesions left by the fungus that will not disappear.
She had a look and she thinks the skin fungus has gone but has left skin lesions that she decided to treat with Advantan 1mg, (METHYLPREDNISOLONE ACETATE)~ a type of cortisone cream.
The problem is that when I apply the cream my skin lesions turn red and look worse that when I started the treatment. No itching. Does it have to get bad before it gets better? I am worried that after all the hard work treating the fungus, the cream is going to trigger and reactivate the fungus again. I am so confused, could somebody advice me ? I will return to the dermatologist but my appointment is not until two weeks and I am thinking about stopping treatment in my mind I think the more I use it the worse it's going to get.  Should ~I start applying Ketaconozole again, I don't want the fungus to return.
Thanks in advance
You must always use topical steroids carefully when there is a potential for a current fungal infection. If the fungus is still active, using a topical steroid can make the fungal infection worse. A good rule of thumb is to monitor your skin after applying the topical steroid; if the rash flares after applying the topical steroid, then this may indicate you have a potential fungal infection.

I would recommend for you to contact your dermatologist to discuss the appearance of your skin lesions after you apply the steroid (that they turn red and look worse). This may be an indication that you should re-evaluate your therapy.