Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Drug Expiration
About This Forum:

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Drug Expiration

I like to ask my pharmacy to put expiration dates on my prescription medication bottles.  I have done this for years for my own protection after my uncle was given a bottle of morphine (he had lung cancer) that was expired.

I renewed my presciption for Metformin (500 mg, twice a day) which I take for PCOS and to prevent diabetes as I had gestational diabetes.  I do not have diabetes now.  When I renewed my prescription a new pharmacist was there.  I asked him to put the expiration date on my prescription bottle.  He gave me the date of December 2012 but then said that that date was only valid until the manufacturers bottle was opened.  He said that keep in mind that since he opened the bottle the medication was only good for three to six months.  That does not seem realistic to me since I used to take a small dose of dexamethosone which I used to get a years prescription all at once.  If what he said was correct then my medication would have been expired for at least half the time I took it.  In all the years I have asked for expiration dates on my prescription bottles, no pharmacist except this one has ever mentioned that the medication will expire three to six months after he gave it to me regardless of the manufacturers expiration date on the bottle.

I've read that drug companies put expiration dates on drugs as guidelines and that drugs usually last years after the expiration date with the exception of a few like tetracycline.  I am not looking to keep my drugs after my expiration date, I just want to know what information is correct as far as manufacturers expiration dates.

Thank you.
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
200 lbs.
Current Medications
:  
Metformin 500 mg twice a day for PCOS.
Drug Allergies
: