Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Dry Mouth & Painful Sore Tongue OTC Cure/Relief

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

What is the best OTC treatment for dry mouth and especially sore and painful tongue caused by dry mouth.  Biotene samples are not giving me the relief I need and neither is saliva subsitute.  They only last less than a minute.  I have been constantly chewing bubble gum because I don't know what else to do but that is making my tongue more raw and sore and causing minor mouth sores.  I feel I am becoming addicted to bubble gum just to get relief and in reality it only helps while I am chewing it.  I am also concerned it may cause major cavities.  Please help me by letting me know the best product for this that I can purchase over the counter to get longer lasting relief and possibly heal my tongue and mouth sores.  Thank You!
Age
:  
46
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
145
Current Medications
:  
Pegasys and Copegus
Drug Allergies
:  
Reglan
Z-Pak
Medical Conditions
:  
Hep C
Severe Dry Mouth and Painful Sore Tongue from treatment
Headaches
Acid Reflux
There are a few things that you can try.  However, if this problem has persisted for more than 2 weeks, you need to seek medical attention.  You can try rinsing with warm salt water.  However, if you have any open sores, this might burn and you may not want to try it.  You can try sucking on pieces of ice.  Also, I read that eating yogurt is helpful.  Both because it can be cooling and that it can help heal mouth ulcers somewhat.  You can also take Tylenol (acetaminophen) for the pain as well.  The best thing for you I think is a prescription product.  It is called “magic mouthwash.”  You doctor can prescribe it and the pharmacy can make it up for you.  It contains lidocaine (which is a topical anesthetic for the pain); Benadryl (diphenhydraminen, an antihistamine to reduce inflammation), and Maalox (an antacid that help to coat the sores and soothe).  

I have a similar problem.

I take several medications that cause dry mouth.  I use Biotene products and they help somewhat.  I get mouth ulcers from having a dry mouth and using Symbicort.  Maalox/liquid Benadryl eases the pain, but doesn't prevent the mouth ulcers.  I also get repeated thrush infections despite brushing and rinsing everytime I use Symbicort.  I'm sure it has to do with dry mouth.  I hope someone has a good solution, as I haven't found anything useful and I'm getting really, really tired of mouth ulcers and thrush.