Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Effexor and health

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Effexor and health

Hi, I have begun Effexor Xr 37.5 mg. for basic anxiety- I worry alot.. I have gone on/ off for years, the stigma of being on meds. gets to me. I am a healthy, school teacher and am not depressed.. more like a cat on a hot tin roof, worry about alot, especially my health (not really a hypocondriac, but close!).  I have had weird things happen like a virus of some sort that made my liver enzymes go out of whack.. so, 6 months of blood work, ultrasounds on liver etc.. so , I became LIVER worried all the time.  Went for CT. scan for gyno. reasons, and a 3mm cyst was found on my LIVER.. so I freaked.. brought it to gastro. and he repeated in 3 months.. cyst. no worry.. no return visit.  My reg. dr. told me I am fine.. my gyno told me I am fine.  I drink in moderation, am always am LIVER cautious.. to the point my husband and mom are like YOU are OK!!!!  Anyway, I went back on Effexor, the longest I have ever taken them is maybe 4 months... if that.  Anyway, my liver is fine, my yearly exam in July all my bloodwork was perfect, enzymes, cholesterol, etc... but I read that the Effexor Xr goes through the LIVER.. is that bad, I know nothing is BAD w/ my LIVER, but should  worry?????  I take nothing else, no tylenol, aleve etc. unless really bad headache etc.  I exercise daily.  This is on my mind.  My mom says that I should give them a try for the side effects may outweigh this .. and to stop reading about side effects.  I have nothing medically wrong w/ me... my liver is fine... even the radiologist did not know what she was looking for on my liver, I just cannot get this out of my mind.... 'hence, on effexor xr!!! '.... please help... thanks.
Tags: Effexor, Anxiety, worry, Liver, help
Age
:  
46
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
137
Current Medications
:  
Effexor Xr 37.5 mg
Drug Allergies
:  
Sulfa
Most medications are either processed through the liver or the kidney. Effexor is metabolized in the liver, it is a natural biological process and does not harm the liver.
Hi Princess, we have allot in common! Im 47, born in 1963, weigh about 140lb,female, on Effexor xr, and alergic (allergic) to sulfa. I left the part about drug alergies (allergies) blank when i filled out my profile though. But anyhow no wonder you are still sch a worry wart, that dose is to low. I was on 75mg for years and finally uped it to 150 and became much more confident, allot less worried . You really need to up that dose. I didnt realize the xr came in 37.5. But keep me posted on what you decide. "I so know that feeling of relentless worry"
Thanks! I have an appt. on Friday, the 13th, to up my dose... :)  It will give me about a month on the 37.5.  ;0  Thanks!!!!!!
Good! I'm glad! Good luck to you! Don't give up, keep tring. I'm pretty sure most sucess is at 150mg. You will feel like a different person. Forget about the stigma! Just accept it! If you were diabetic, you would have to take your insulin, wouldn't you? Im over that, thank god, one less thing to worry about! And the problem is , is that people are just uneducated. So you just keep keepin on girl ,and research your butt off on the subject. Just keep it to yourself if you must, but don't worry about what other people think. Frankly,  it's none of their business!
Thanks! You are awesome!  :)
Wow thanks! I needed to hear that. Honestly I haven't been feeling very well , and i will tell you what I think may be causing it. They came out with a generic effexor and my insurance company switched me over to it without my permission. Now I realize this is how they opperate but when ya give it some thought, they got allot of nerve. I have been on it for two weeks now and have been dealing with feeling sad and angry and aches like ( fibro pain)and feeling paranoid, like my perception of what people are thinking, and I have no tolerance for anything. I feel like I am mad at the world. So take my advice, do not allow them to give you the generic brand. Especially because you are already taking the brand name. DO Not switch over. I am calling my doc and having him put in a authorization to keystone mercy telling them I must take the brand Effexor xr.
Yes, I agree w/ the generic thing. They offered me generic, but I refused.  I hope you feel better.  I know exactly how your are 'feeling'... I have to say that I feel better on Effexor XR and my family also sees a big difference.  I can tolerate things much better, and will ask to go to 75 in a couple weeks. I think this dose is ok, but I need just abit more.  Deep breaths.. thanks for all...