Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Expired eye drops

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Expired eye drops

When I moved into our home we unfortunately carried all the old meds to the new home. I may have inadvertantly put it in my left eye. It was over 5 years old. It had black specks on the outer part, but I did not see it as it was late. Do the ingredients get toxic or do they not work as well? Can dry eye just start in one eye? Thanks for any advice.
Tags: eye drops
Age
:  
42
Sex
:  
Male
Weight
:  
198
Medical Conditions
:  
OCD, dry eye, MGD
Before I can help answer your question I need to know what medication was used.  You should however, wash out your eye thoroughly for 10 – 15 minutes.  If you notice any changes in your eye go to the ER immediately.  You can also contact the manufacturer and ask them if they have any information on what happens to the medication after it expires.
It was generic version from Walmart  of the allergy drops. I'm not sure if the ingredient becomes toxic, but unfortunately I did not see a Dr. right away. I did flush it for a few minutes and it burned for like 15 secs. I guess it started the dry eye that I experience now. It really stinks. Thanks for the response.
eye drops should usually be discarded after 1 month!!
Can they end up damaging your eye. It started to look different(reddder) and started to itch and burn after a while. I've seen eye Dr's and most have said one time could not do that. I do know that both my eyes don't create enough tears, but my left eye always seems to get more red and irratated. It's bizarre and it's caused me much stress. Ivery conscious of it know and it's bothersome. Thanks for any input.
old eye drops could cause infection but if you have seen an eye doc and have no problems dont worry

vix