Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Flu Vaccinations

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Flu Vaccinations
I got my flu vaccination yesterday.  While I slept the vaccination leaked out through the injection site.  (my shirt sleeve was moist with a "medicine" smell)  Is this common? Will the vaccination still be effective?
It is common to experience swelling, edema (excess fluid), redness, soreness, pain, and inflammation at the injection site. Because the shot was administered yesterday, you do not have to worry about effectiveness, the vaccine is in your body and should work to its full potential. The fact that your injection site leaked is most likely linked to inflammation and edema. This should subside within a couple of days. If you have no relief in 2 days, or your injection site gets worse, call your doctor immediately.