Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Get off enbrel before surgery
About This Forum:

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Get off enbrel before surgery

I have rheumatoid arthritis and am taking enbrel.  Even with the enbrel, my c reactives and other immune response markers are very high.  Without the enbrel, every joint in my body swells, gets hot, has extreme pain and locks up to a point where I cannot get out of bed, get dressed or go to the bathroom without help.  It took 3 months for the enbrel to work for me.  Now, my gallbladder needs to be removed.  They tell me that I must get off the enbrel a week before the surgery and cannot restart it until another week after the surgery.  They tell me the reason for getting off the enbrel is to prevent infection, but they offer to let me take prednisone (which gives me bad effects like very easy bleeding).  I question this because I say the prednisone will not be any better than the enbrel regarding infection... I am so afraid of the pain of being off enbrel that I am tempted just to keep my gallbladder..the pain of my gallbladder is much less than the pain of the arthritis without enbrel and I can't see becoming a total invalid for 3 months.  As far as I can find, the manufacturer does not recommend getting off the enbrel for surgery.  I would think that since my immune system is on overdrive even with the enbrel (I don't catch anything) I do not need to get off the enbrel.  I also worry about suddenly increasing my c reactive proteins because of my heart. I read that it can cause heart attacks and my family history is awful.  Anyway, do you have any wisdom on this?
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
Current Medications
:  
enbrel, mobic, prevacid, bystolic
Drug Allergies
:  
procardia, septra
Medical Conditions