Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Is my cut infected?

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Is my cut infected?

I cut my lite finger 9 days ago and the wound is still not healed.. I cut it on the bottom if a washing machine while helping to remove it. The cut it just over an inch long but deep.. It is white and dark red around it and is yellow inside and has been discharging small amounts of the yellow stuff. It's sensitive to touch. I vomited today which I don't know is anything to do with it but my arm feels weird, like abit numb.. Is it infected and what should I do?
Age
:  
26
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
9st 8lbs
Current Medications
:  
Na
Drug Allergies
:  
Penicillin
Medical Conditions
:  
Na
If you suspect an infection, I would recommend for you to contact your doctor. Your doctor can examine the cut and determine if it is necessary to start an oral, or a topical (applied to skin) antibiotic. There are a number of over-the-counter ointments you can apply to a skin tear, such as triple-antibiotic ointment.
However, as your wound is still not healing, and you have been having symptoms that might indicate a systemic (or full body) response, such as vomiting, I would recommend you consult with your doctor as opposed to treating at home only. There are a number of additional signs and symptoms that can help to determine if there is an infection, such as the presence of a fever, chills, shaking, or sweating. Symptoms at the site of infection can include the cut being red, painful, and warm to the touch.