Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Lasix/Furosemide
About This Forum:

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Lasix/Furosemide

My doctor prescribed furosemide for some pretty bad bilateral pitting ankle edema of as yet unknown cause.

I am 5'4" and 116lbs.  She said this is a very strong medication and she prescribed me 15 of the 20mg tablets, told me to cut them in half and take one half a tablet every other day. (So 10mg every other day, and then I will see her again in a month.)

I took the first dose today and had an increase in frequency of urination, but my ankles look as bad if not worse than ever.  I weighed myself first thing this morning before taking the medication, and now at the end of the day I weigh nearly 5 full pounds more.  

Do you have any information on how long it would normally take for furosemide to show a reduction in edema?  I know it's only been one day, but my ankles are so disturbingly large, and my dose is so small I worry I'm not taking enough to do me any good.  Is this medication normally dosed according to body weight?  

Thanks for your help!
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
Current Medications
:  
adderall 30mg/day
Tri Sprintec
Furosemide 10 mg every other day
Drug Allergies