Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Levofloxacin tablets - splittable?

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Levofloxacin tablets - splittable?
Short question:  Can levofloxacin tablets be split in half within one to two days of administration without losing efficacy?

Explanation - I will be taking Levaquin for the next while, assuming that this first week of heavier dosing does its duty in tamping down my infection.  After this first 500mg QD course is complete, for the sake of simplicity (but mostly cost), when I am dropped to 250mg/dose, will it harm the efficacy if the new prescription is filled with 500mg tablets and I split them?

Thank you for this forum - an answer on this will help me be prepared on my follow-up.
Yes, you can split levofloxacin 500mg tablets in half, and you should not expect a loss of efficacy by doing so. As the tablets are film-coated, I recommend you use a pill-cutter to ensure you split both sides equally.