Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Long term use of PEG
About This Forum:

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Long term use of PEG

I am using Pegasys 180mug q/wk as an off label use to treat Polycythemia Vera and it works well.I will have to take this med the rest of my life. I am aware of the short term side effects, but what about long term side effects? What can I expect years from now?
Tags: PEG
Sex
:  
Male
Weight
:  
Current Medications
:  
Nexium 40
ASA 365
Lipitor10
HCT12.5
Diovan 160
Omega 3 2000
Pegasys 180
Drug Allergies
:  
Hu
Medical Conditions
:  
Polycythemia Vera
B/P secondary to PV
Cholesterol secondary to PV
639831_tn?1223066680
Pegasys suppresses bone marrow function and may result in severe cytopenias, such as a decrease in red blood cells or platelets. It may also cause high blood pressure, chest pain, or aggravate pre-existing liver conditions.
2 Comments
Blank
To all that have responded, this is exactly why I and others take Pegasys. We are a part of the MPN class who has Polycythemia Vera, condition caused by a mytation of the JAK2 gene that causes the bone marrow to continually produce RBC's and never stop.

Using Pegasys causes the reaction you state which is exactly what we are looking for. The down side is that right now it is an off label use and not recognized by the FDA or Roche. That said there are trials underway to prove it's effect and hopefully soon the FDA will recognize it for this use.

Thank You all for your assistance.

PaulLK
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...