Long term use of PEG
I am using Pegasys 180mug q/wk as an off label use to treat Polycythemia Vera and it works well.I will have to take this med the rest of my life. I am aware of the short term side effects, but what about long term side effects? What can I expect years from now?
Pegasys suppresses bone marrow function and may result in severe cytopenias, such as a decrease in red blood cells or platelets. It may also cause high blood pressure, chest pain, or aggravate pre-existing liver conditions.
To all that have responded, this is exactly why I and others take Pegasys. We are a part of the MPN class who has Polycythemia Vera, condition caused by a mytation of the JAK2 gene that causes the bone marrow to continually produce RBC's and never stop.

Using Pegasys causes the reaction you state which is exactly what we are looking for. The down side is that right now it is an off label use and not recognized by the FDA or Roche. That said there are trials underway to prove it's effect and hopefully soon the FDA will recognize it for this use.

Thank You all for your assistance.

PaulLK