Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
My redipen mistake
About This Forum:

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

My redipen mistake

My dad took redipen(peginteron alfa2b) 64mcg(0.4ml) instead of 80mcg(0.5ml) for 4 wk. We noticed that at 5th inj (2nd f/up). I curiously want to know the effect of this inadequate dosage on treatment course, viral responses, prognosis? We are now taking 5th inj (80mcg). What should we do? I really appreciate your comments. Please help us.
Sex
:  
Male
Weight
:  
104lb
Current Medications
:  
Peginteron(redipen)
Rebetol 400mg BD
Drug Allergies
:  
-
Medical Conditions
:  
HCV(+)
4475871_tn?1355180944
In general, patient's response to interferon (pegintron)/ribavirin therapy will vary widely among various HCV genotypes. It is not always possible to determine an expected response prior to treatment, and as such the response to treatment is usually monitored at 12 and 24 weeks to see if the medication is working appropriately.

The dosing tables are guidelines to inform prescribers on which dose to give a particular patient. They are based on a patient's weight, and provide weight ranges to choose from. For example, patients weighing 40-50kg (88-111lbs) may receive 64mcg, and patients weighing 51-60kg (112-133lbs) may receive 80mcg doses. With that said, there are many reasons a patient might receive a lower dose of the drug; after routine visits if it is causing psychiatric complications such as depression, a patient will have a dosage reduction, for example.

Pegintron has been shown to have effectiveness at lower doses. From the prescribing information associated with Pegintron, patients had similar response rates to both a 1mcg/kg dose and a 1.5mcg/kg dose of Pegintron. I would recommend for you to continue the course of treatment as originally prescribed (at the 80mcg dose), but you should let your father's doctor know about the dosing mixup, just in case he or she feels additional monitoring may be necessary.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
5801192_tn?1389204087
Carrie Fu, PharmDBlank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank