Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
PROGESTERONE

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

PROGESTERONE
Is COMPOUNDED NATURAL PROGESTERONE that requires a doctor's prescription good to use for improving bone density?
Studies have shown that with regular intake of compounded natural progesterone osteoporosis can be stabilized and in some cases reversed. Studies have shown an increase in bone density.
In recent question to you regarding compounded natural progesterone. Thank you for answering.   I have some information I'd like to present to you.  I'm taking "Natural Woman" progesterone creme (by Products of Nature.  This is Natural Progesterone USP (derived from the Mexican wild yam root).  

Do you have any evidence that indicates this product is good for osteoporosis or bone density or both?  

I don't understand what COMPOUNDED  natural progesterone is?

Please respond.
There is not much information at all on the product Natural Woman. You may want to check with the manufacturer for more information. Compounded natural progesterone is a progesterone that is compounded in a pharmacy. There are special compounding pharmacies that compound plant-derived, bioidentical hormones and a prescription is needed for these compounds.