Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Prescription

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Prescription
How long is my Hydrocodone good for? In other words how long can I take the med and be covered by my prescription?
The most specific answer for your question could be determined by contacting the pharmacy that filled your prescription. If they still have the stock bottle from which your prescription was filled, the pharmacy can locate the expiration date of the medication you are taking.

If this is not possible, there are a number of general guidelines or references you may consider. One study done a number of years ago by the FDA, examined 100 prescription and over the counter drugs and found that about 90% of them were safe and effective as far as 15 years past their original expiration date. It is not possible to know that your prescription for hydrocodone will retain all of its potency after the expiration date, but as long as the medication has been stored safely, and has not become contaminated it should be safe to take.

If you find the medication does not appear to be effective, or if you feel it has lost some of its potency, it would be recommended that you get a new prescription for the medication. Also, keep in mind, if you are in the US, your prescription for hydrocodone can only be refilled a total of five times, and it must be done within six months of the original prescription date.