Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Rights regarding Prescription Drugs?

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Rights regarding Prescription Drugs?
Yes, I would like to know, do I, as a patient, have the right to request that a doctor who is going to prescribe me medication, prescribe me a particular brand? More specifically, if my doctor is going to prescribe me a type of medication that insurance will not cover, but there is a particular brand of this type of drug on the Walmart $4 prescription plan, do I have the right to request that particular medication and what is the likelihood that I could expect a doctor to comply with this request?
Normally a physician will work it out with the patient regarding medications that are covered or not covered by insurance. There is no stated law that the patient has the right to change a medication, but 99% of the time the doctor will prescribe based on the patient's needs medically and financially.
"A rose by any other name...." My doctor doesn't care who makes the drug, and is always helpful in this regard.