Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Risperdal stop cold turkey?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Risperdal stop cold turkey?

I am writing for answers for my 15 Year old son with Autism.  He has been on Risperdal for about 5 years now and was taking 4mg x 2 daily, HIGH, I KNOW.  He is 5'10" 165 lbs. For about the past 6 months he has started with some new behaviors.  I relayed these to his Psychiatrist and she has had no comment on them. I researched them myself and found they mimic Tardive dyskinesia in many ways.  I have found a new Psychiatrist but can not get in to see her for approx 2 more weeks.  As I've read the side effects of Tardive Dyskinesia can be irreversable I want to discontinue the Risperdal ASAP!!! I have cut his dose in half but I'm wondering with an antipsychotic drug if I can stop "cold turkey" or will it do my son more harm that way rather than weaning him off.  He also takes Citalopram (celexa) 40mg per day.  Any help would be appreciated.
Sex
:  
Female
Current Medications
:  
Risperdal 4mg x 2 daily

Citalopram 40mg daily
Drug Allergies
:  
n/a
Medical Conditions
: