Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Seroquel and Diabetes

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Seroquel and Diabetes

I have been reading a lot lately about the side effects of  Seroquel.  The one that concerns me the most is the diabetes.  I am obese and diabetes runs in my family. I even have a brother that is insulin dependent.  I am wondering if I should get off this drug?  Does the diabetes continue even after the drug is discontinued? Is there another antipsychotic I could take that does not have this side effect?  
Thank you so much for your time.

Lisa
Tags: Seroquel
Age
:  
41
Weight
:  
320
Current Medications
:  
Lexapro 40mgs per day
claritin 10 mgs per day
seroquel 300 mgs per day
symbicort 2 puffs 2 times a day
Drug Allergies
:  
Sulfa drugs
Medical Conditions
:  
Asthma, Borderline Personality disorder, depression
My suggestion would be to discuss this concern with your prescriber. I am assuming your family history with your primary care provider states you have a family history of diabetes? You should not discontinue or alter your dosing regimen of Seroquel without the express consent of your prescriber.
Below is the FDA information released by Astra Zeneca regarding this very issue

Patients with risk factors for diabetes mellitus (eg, obesity, family history of diabetes) who are starting treatment with atypical antipsychotics should undergo fasting blood glucose testing at the beginning of treatment. Any patient treated with atypical antipsychotics should be monitored for symptoms of hyperglycemia including polydipsia, polyuria, polyphagia, and weakness. Patients who develop symptoms of hyperglycemia during treatment with atypical antipsychotics should undergo fasting blood glucose testing. In some cases, hyperglycemia has resolved when the atypical antipsychotic was discontinued; however, some patients required continuation of anti-diabetic treatment despite discontinuation of the suspect drug.

AstraZeneca remains committed to providing you with the most current product information available for the management of your patients. You may immediately review the Warnings statement about hyperglycemia and diabetes mellitus in the SEROQUEL Prescribing Information by visiting the web site www.Seroquel.com. Updated package inserts containing the additional hyperglycemia and diabetes mellitus information will accompany the medication in the near future and you should, of course, refer to the insert for full Prescribing Information.

As always, we request that serious adverse events be reported to AstraZeneca at 1-800-236-9933.

I would not be able to offer a suggestion of an alternate medication as I do not have your full health profile and I cannot diagnose. I would urge you to discuss this matter with your primary care doctor.

Best of luck to you.

Jennifer R RPh www.drugstore.com
Hello,  i am type 1 diabetic for 46 years.  I have been on medicare a and b plus company retirment insurance for 10 years.  My retirement co is switching from a private plan to medicare prescription coverage.  My problem is the gap which I will surely reach with the insulin I use (lantus and humolog)  Do you know of any insurance that will cover the insulin through the gap.  My private insurance covereage provided through my company retirement covered all of the insulin costs.  This will increase my health costs at least 4300 per year plus.  It seems to me that insulin should be in a special category since it is not an optional choice, without diabetic type 1 do not survive.  Thanks, Jim