Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Trazodone

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Trazodone

I've been sufferiing fron chronic insomnia for several months.  I've taken Alprazolam for occasional insomnia and/or anxiety.  But, don't like taking it every day.  So,  my dr. prescribed Trazodone for sleep.  He prescribed 50 mgs.  I started with a 1/4 of a tablet and every day built it up by another 1/4 tablet.  I am now taking two 50 mg tablets.  Its been about 10 days since I first started taking the Trazodone.  It doesn't seem to be helping me sleep.   I have very vivid dreams and am only able to sleep for 2 - 3 hrs.  During the 2 - 3 hrs I don't feel like I am in a deep sleep because I am having wild dreams most of the time.  The Trazodone also gives me migrains and I seem to  have a difficult time focusing during the day.   My question to you is does the Trazodone need to build up in my system for several weeks before working?  Will the side effects of headaches, wild dreams and brain fatigue (best way I can describe it) during the day subside? Incidentely I didn't take the Trazodone tonight and I was able to sleep 5hrs.  So, it seems I am sleeping better without it, though still not getting enough sleep.

Age
:  
43
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
130
Current Medications
:  
Levothyroxin, Alprazolam(occasional for anxiety and/or insomnia)
Drowsiness (up to 40%)is the most common side effects of trazodone. Other CNS effects include confusion (5%), dizziness (25%), lightheadedness (25%), nervousness (up to 15%), fatigue (9%), and headache (15%). Some CNS side effects occur during the first few weeks of therapy, and tolerance can develop after 1 or 2 weeks. Taking trazodone during a fasting state may increase the incidence of these effects.
Peak levels are achieved 1 hour after dosing in the fasting state and 2 hours after dosing with food. There is wide individual response. Most patients who respond to therapy with trazodone do so by the end of the second week of therapy.

Hope this helps!

Jennifer R RPh www.drugstore.com
Thanks.  I've stopped taking the Trazodone, but am still not sleeping and am desperate for sleep. So, I may give it another try for 2 weeks.  I assume it's safe to take Trazodone with the Alprazolam?
That is correct. Those 2 medications are very often prescribed together. Best of luck to you!

Jennifer R RPh www.drugstore.com