Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
What to do to get off Lortab?

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

What to do to get off Lortab?
I took my last lortab last night and have been abusing them for over a year. I do have a back injury, but I went overboard taking the lortab because it elevated my mood until I realized I had a problem. My script of 120 tabs would only last 12-14 days when it was supposed to last 1 month. I want off those pills. I want to call my Dr and be honest with him- I do not abuse the zanax- I take 1 pill a day only. I have been reading about detox and some drugs that will help with the detox (at home) what should I ask my Dr. for that does not have any withdrawls associated with detox from lortab. Thank you!! Jamie47
Dear Jamie,
I would suggest speaking frankly with your primary care physician. While there are no maximum dosage limits available for the use of hydrocodone to treat pain, the maximum dose is limited due to its combined use with acetaminophen. The maximum daily dose of acetaminophen is 4 grams. For example, if you were taking Hydrocodone/APAP 10/500mg you would be over the maximum daily dose if you took more than 8 tablets in a 24 hour period. I would contact your primary and ask to speak to him about your situation. Ask for him to do a liver enzyme panel and go from there. If you are still suffering from back pain, you will need something to help you however there are non narcotic options you can explore with your prescriber. I also would explore non traditional alternatives to help with your back pain. Hope this helps.

Jennifer R RPh www.drugstore.com