Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
Zegerid (Omeprazole, Sodium Bicarbonate)
About This Forum:

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Zegerid (Omeprazole, Sodium Bicarbonate)

I started taking Zegerid (Omeprazole, Sodium Bicarbonate) 40mg x 1 per day, in July 2009, on Aug 27 2009 I experinced my 1st mirgaine type headache. Ever since then headaches almost everyday.

I have had numerous medical testing done due to these headaches, and all tests have been normal.

I was wondering if Zegerid (Omeprazole, Sodium Bicarbonate), is know to cause headaches, light sensativity?

I didnt think it could, but I have read some fourms online, with a select few telling how Zegerid gave them terrible headaches.

Whats your opinon?

Also, what I good alternative to Zegerid that I could aks my doc about in? Nexium does not work on me.

-Thanks
Sex
:  
Male
Weight
:  
Current Medications
:  
Zegerid (Omeprazole, Sodium Bicarbonate) 40mg x 1 per day
Pepcid 40mg x 1 per day
Cardizem CD 120mg for migraine prevention
Related Discussions
669824_tn?1225842912
In the labeling for Zegerid (Omeprazole and Sodium Bicarbonate) the incidence of headaches reported is approximately 2% thus is labeled as a potential side effect with the medication. There are no warnings or precautions listed for Zegerid (Omeprazole and Sodium Bicarbonate) as being known to cause migraine headaches or light sensitivity. However, if your symptoms have not been found to have another cause a trial discontinuation of the medication is warranted to see if that resolves your symptoms. As for alternative treatments there are two classes of medications commonly used to treat heartburn symptoms or Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD). The most commonly used agents are Antacids, Histamine 2 receptors blockers (H2RAs) and Proton-Pump Inhibitors (PPIs). Antacids are used for symptomatic relief by neutralizing stomach acid and preventing heartburn once it starts. Both H2RAs and PPIs work by reducing the amount of acid produced in the stomach and thus relive the symptoms of heartburn. Most H2RAs are available OTC and include Zantac (Ranitidine), Pepcid (Famotidine), and Axid (Nizatidine) and are considered first line for the treatment of meal-induced heartburn. The other classes of medications, the PPIs, are considered stronger and are more for treating GERD and not just symptomatic relief of meal induced heartburn. PPIs include Prilosec (Omeprazole), Nexium (Esomeprazole), Aciphex (Rabeprazole), Protonix (Pantoprazole), Prevacid (Lansoprazole), and Kapidex (Dexlansoprazole). This class of medications should be taken at least 30min-1 hour prior to a meal in order to have an effect.  I would talk to your doctor about a trial of any one of these agents to see which works best for you.
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979