Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
bleeding after mirena removal

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

bleeding after mirena removal

i removed my iud myself yesterday. i know its not a good idea, but considering im deathly afraid of gynos i think it was the route for me.  i spotted all the day of removal, and woke up this morning (day two of removal) and had some heavier spotting. it is bright red with some small clots (all tissue) and i wanted to know if this is a normal occurance after removal of an iud, and how long i can exspect it to continue?
Age
:  
19
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
132
Current Medications
:  
none
Drug Allergies
:  
none
Medical Conditions
:  
none
Your symptoms appear to be consistent with many women after IUD removal, and it is common to experience bleeding and/ or some mild or moderate pain. The time required for the bleeding to end varies from woman to woman, but I would recommend for you to consult with your doctor if it extends past a week. Also, you should monitor closely for changes in bleeding patterns. If the bleeding is very heavy, you may want to schedule an appointment with a gynecologist to verify the IUD was removed appropriately. Heavy bleeding could potentially indicate damage to the uterus during removal.