Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
depakote

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

depakote
I was wondering if depakote is worth the risk i am so scared to take fearing i might end up with some sort of vital organ failure. I also have bradicardia will this med cause a heart problem for me?
Depakote (divalproex) is a an anticonvulsant medication that has been used safely and effectively by many patients to treat seizures, mania, for migraine prophylaxis, or diabetic neuropathy. As with starting any medication, you should discuss with your doctor the risks vs benefits.

To ensure the safety of divalproex, you should have a number of tests such as liver enzyme tests and complete blood count done when you start divalproex and at periodic intervals while taking.

Bradycardia is a rare (less than 1% of occurrence) side effect of divalproex. Other cardiovascular side effects, such as tachycardia, have also been reported and you should discuss this with your doctor to review the risks vs benefits of starting divalproex.