Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
drug screening

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

drug screening

can u fail a drug test, done with urine/ with no lab there, for morphine while taking opana er 40mgs. 2 times a day without taking any other pain meds.?
Age
:  
52
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
160
Drug Allergies
:  
aspirie/excedrin
Medical Conditions
:  
spinal aurtthritis,platew/screws/new bone, osteoporosis, degenerating disk,rhemotorit auth./ all kinds of aurthtiris, closterol,hep.c in remission/due to treatment, buldging disk in lower back, fractures in both handa/1 wrist, and back at 24. stomach, nerves ,anxioty,joints
Yes, opana er will show up as morphine on a drug test.
the dr. that said i failed his drug test threw papers at me and cursed me ,he started me on opanaer40mgs.in sept08, he did not start me out on a lower dose first.i am worried about withdrawls i have copd and hep.c in remission, should i have ever taken this drug?should he have given me something more than hydrocodone10/500 to come off of this med. i know that i am not susposed to have that much acedimine, what do u suggest i do about this? this hydro. does not help my pain,it really takes a lot of it and i just can not get another dr. right away.i thank u very much for your answer about the morphine. at least i was able to go back there yesterday and show him he was wrong about my drug test. thanks for your help. it really means a lot to me.
If you can not find another doctor right away, I suggest you try to work with your current doctor in finding the best pain management for you. Let him know if a particular drug is  working or not.
Liz, u say that opana ER will show up as morphine on drug screen.. will it show up if being tested for opioids or just synthetic opioids? i came up positive on a drug screen for oxymorphone and i was perscribed to percocet.. can u please explain?
I believe it would show up if being tested for both opioids and synthetic opioids. The reason why you tested positive for oxymorphone is because oxycodone which is found in percocet can produce oxymorphone when it is metabolized in the liver. The codeine-hydrocodone group and morphinans can also produce oxymorphone.
I am prescribed opana we & endcocet. My test came back positive for Oxy & Opi & my dr. Said I failed, said he found Vicodin which I took from an old RX, wouldn't it all show up the same? If I don't take the vicodin, what should show up!
drug testing BLEH!!!! Imagine this coming from an opaite addict....and Liz hi nice to meet you. You being a pharmacist and all I know you are busy, busy......but was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing the most outragous story you ever heard from someone to obtain their codone rx early. And while I got your ear.....I am coming off (anykind)codone, abusive behvior for a longtime.....my girl is in jail coming, well I guess she's off heroin, 19 days, but she is pushing me hard to take suboxone with her, legally of course :o)......but here's my opinion, skewed from addiction as it is......if I take a pill.....then stop and I feel like ****(subs).......whats the point of taking subs....i'm trying to quit >>>>>>>>>>>PILLS<<<<<<<<<<< So the w/d's are pretty bad too from subs in your exp??? Thanks have a DEA-free day............Shawn