Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
expired medication

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

expired medication
I use my medication after it has expired.  Is there really any harm in doing this?  I know it may not be quite as effective as fresh, new medicine but it seems to still work. I have used medicines (especially psychiatric meds) that were prescribed for me a few years ago.  The doctor often writes a new prescription but instead of getting it filled I just take the medicine I already have.  It seems like such a waste of money to just throw out the old prescription for the same medicine.  It hasn't had any adverse effect on me so far.  Is there any real danger in doing this?
It is not recommended to take expired medication.  With time, medications lose their effectiveness. Also, the medication can degrade into other chemical forms that may be harmful to you.