Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
hypertension med expectations
About This Forum:

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

hypertension med expectations

I have been being treated with atenolol then started lisinopril @ 10mg, upped to 20 then 40mg over the last 2 months with no change in my BP. It is still 160/100 range.  Is it likely I will show a response to these meds over the next several weeks?  Are some people just resistant to the meds?   Thank you.  
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
Current Medications
:  
estradiol, hctz, lisinopril 40mg, in the am.  At hs: atenolol 100mg for hypertension.  Topirimate 100mg zanaflex 8mg. for migraine prevention.  Tramadol prn for chronic back pain.
Drug Allergies
:  
nkda
Medical Conditions
:  
hypertension
herniated discs; have had several episodes of epidural steroid inj. over the years.
hospitalized in 2010 for acute bronchitis.  I am a nonsmoker.
4475871_tn?1355180944
Lisinopril may take up to 2- 4 weeks to lower blood pressure to optimal range for some patients. You would likely have seen the benefits of lisinopril in lowering your blood pressure if you have been taking the 40mg dose for 2 months now. The usual dosing range for lisinopril is 10- 40mg per day when treating hypertension. Doses up to 80mg have been used but do not appear to show greater effectiveness.

As your blood pressure remains elevated, it is necessary to review your past medical history and current medication regimen with your physician. You may discuss adding another anti-hypertensive or increasing the dose of your current anti-hypertensives such as hydrochlorothiazide if this is an option for you. Different people may require different combinations of medications to reach their optimal blood pressure, and there are various drug classes to choose from. In some cases, based on your past medical history, there may be compelling indications to choose one anti-hypertensive over another.  

Also, there are a number of factors that can lead to resistant hypertension, such as: excess sodium intake, inadequate diuretic therapy, or excessive alcohol intake. Some medications may also cause fluid retention and/ or cause hypertension as a side-effect.
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
Aug 28 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
233488_tn?1310696703