Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
itchiness in vaginal area

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

itchiness in vaginal area

i have severe itchiness around my vaginal area. i did recently have a yeast infection and received a pill from a doctor that made it go away within a week but it didnt help the itchiness around it and it spread throughout my vagina. I cant afford to go to the emergency room again so i want to know what cream or antibiotic i can use to make it go away.
Age
:  
18
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
115
Current Medications
:  
none
Drug Allergies
:  
none
Sometimes, oral treatment for a vaginal yeast infection needs to be repeated. Please discuss this with a physician.  Over-the-counter medications for vaginal yeast infections are available as tablets and creams that are inserted into the vagina. Cream products are also available to apply to the outside of the vagina, the best way to sooth external burning or irritation. Some women prefer the vaginal tablets because they are less messy than the creams. The length of treatment of yeast infections can vary from one to seven days. All of these medicines work equally as well for treating vaginal yeast infections. The choice of an over-the-counter product depends on your preference for cream versus tablet, length of treatment (one, three, or seven days), and cost. Examples of these products include butoconazole (brand name Femstat), clotrimazole (Mycelex, Gyne-Lotrimin), and miconazole (Monistat).