Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
lipitor side affects

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

lipitor side affects
I had a adverse drug reaction to lipitor. very bad muscle pain and stiffness could hardly walk was kept on it for over a year with no test type of blood testing and only after much complaning was I taken off it to see if it was causing the problem. got better right away, still have some stiffness and loss of muscle strength. what are my options
Here is a list of options that you should bring with you when going for your next appointment with your prescriber.

Statins (also known as HMG CoA reductase inhibitors)
This class of drugs works in the liver to prevent the formation of cholesterol. Statins are most effective at lowering the LDL (bad) cholesterol, but also have modest effects on lowering triglycerides (blood fats) and raising HDL (good) cholesterol.

Most of statins' side effects are mild and generally go away as your body adjusts. Muscle problems and liver abnormalities are rare, but your doctor may order regular liver function tests. Patients who are pregnant or who have active or chronic liver disease should not take statins.

Statins currently available in the U.S.include:

Atorvastatin (Lipitor®)
Fluvastatin (Lescol®)
Lovastatin (Mevacor®, Altoprev™)
Pravastatin (Pravachol®)
Rosuvastatin Calcium (Crestor®)
Simvastatin (Zocor®)

Since Lipitor did not work for you , your prescriber may want to try other options. Also I have included the next list that will give you and your prescriber other options with regards to cholesterol lowering. Best of luck to you!

Resins (also known as bile acid sequestrant or bile acid-binding drugs)
This class of LDL-lowering drugs works in the intestines by promoting increased disposal of cholesterol. Your body uses cholesterol to make bile, an acid used in the digestive process. These medicines bind to bile, so it can't be used during digestion. Your liver responds by making more bile. The more bile your liver makes, the more cholesterol it uses. That means less cholesterol is left to circulate through your bloodstream.

Resins currently available in the U.S. include:

Cholestyramine (Questran®, Questran® Light, Prevalite®, Locholest®,  Locholest® Light)
Colestipol (Colestid®)
Colesevelam Hcl (WelChol®)
Fibrates (fibric acid derivatives)
Fibrates are best at lowering triglycerides and in some cases increasing HDL (good cholesterol) levels. These drugs are not very effective in lowering LDL (bad) cholesterol. That's why fibrates are generally used in people whose triglycerides are high or whose HDL is low, after reaching LDL goal. Fibrates are most effective at lowering triglycerides (blood fats). Additionally, they act to raise the levels of HDL (good) cholesterol. Fibrates may be used in combination therapy with the statins.

Fibrates currently available in the U.S.include:

Gemfibrozil (Lopid®)
Fenofibrate (Antara®, Lofibra®, Tricor®, and Triglide™)
Clofibrate (Atromid-S)

Jennifer R RPh www.drugstore.com