Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
lisinopril and atenolol for hypertension

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Hi.  I've been taking Lisinopril 40mg, and crazy dizziness and headaches occurred and brought my blood pressure down to around 90/50, so my doctor had me take only 20mg lisinopril per day.  

With 20mg, my blood pressure was constantly at 160-170/100.  

Then, the doctor told me to take Atenolol 25mg at night and lisinopril 20mg in the morning.  It brought my blood pressure down to around 100/60 regularly, but recently it started going up again.  I often have electric tingling/weakness in my hands/arms/legs and feel like I will faint.  Blood pressure fluctuates from 160/100 to 100/60 from one day to another.

Doctor thinks I have panic attack and should take Xanax for it.  But, I feel like the medication combination (atenolol/lisinopril) is giving me hard time.  I asked doctor to please change the medication but he refuses, and he thinks it's the anxiety attack that's the cause for all this.  What should I do?

Is Lisinopril/Atenolol a proven combination to help hypertension?

Thanks.

Age
:  
49
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
108
Current Medications
:  
Lisinopril 30mg
Atenolol 25mg
Xanax
Vytorin
Medical Conditions
:  
Hypertension
I have seen doctors use this combination, but they will need to keep adjusting the dose until your blood pressure is at a good number. Sometimes it may take 2-3 weeks for your body to adjust to the medications.