Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
norco

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

norco

is there a medication i can get from my doctor to wean myself off norco?
Age
:  
57
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
120
Current Medications
:  
effexor, valium, seroquel, neurontin, mirepex, hydrocodone
Medical Conditions
:  
lower back pain
The treatment plan for tapering off of Norco (hydrocodone/acetaminophen) will vary depending on the dosage your have been taking and the duration of time you have been taking it. Also, you will need to discuss with your doctor how your pain will be managed when you do stop taking Norco, as you may need to review other pain management options.

There are products available such as Suboxone (buprenorphine and naloxone) that are indicated for the maintenance treatment of opioid dependence, but not appropriate for use as a pain-reliever, and this medication may reduce the effectiveness of other pain relievers.

Another approach may be to begin tapering the dose of Norco down. For patients using Norco for acute pain, they can taper by 20% daily (ie: if you were taking 5 tablets/ day, the next day you would take 4 tablets, and so on.) For patients using Norco for chronic use, you may consider tapering by 10% every three to five days (ie: if you were taking 5 tablets per day, then you would take 4 and 1/2 tablets for three days, and continue reducing every 3-5 days).

Your doctor may prescribe medications to treat the symptoms of withdrawal in case they do occur such as: loperamide for diarrhea, promethazine for nausea, dicyclomine for abdominal cramps, or ibuprofen for muscle aches. Psychosocial counseling will be an important part of a successful plan to stop taking opioids, and you should discuss the potential risks vs benefits of stopping Norco with your doctor. I would recommend against stopping Norco abruptly due to the potential for withdrawal symptoms.