Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
pills and breastfeeding

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

pills and breastfeeding
i have got home from a&e after what doctors belive may be gallstones. I was given Tramadol and Buscopan but after reading the leaflets am weary of taking them as i am still breastfeeding my 14mth old baby (although only now once each evening). The doctors were aware i am nursing. i was given doses in hospital, the last dose was aprox 10am and am not due to feed baby till 6pm. should i feed her still tonight or give cows milk? Should i carry on with these or ask my gp to give me alternitives? thankyou
I personally would not recommend breastfeeding while taking buscopan and tramadol, but if your obstetrician says it's ok then it should be fine.
Tramadol and buscopan enter the breast milk. It is not recommended that you use them while breastfeeding unless "the benefit outweighs the risk". How bad is your pain anyways? If it isn't too bad, you should just try some tylenol which is safe with breastfeeding.