Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
prescriptions during pregnancy
About This Forum:

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

prescriptions during pregnancy

I recently found out I was pregnant I have been taking Xanax and past 4 years and have not been able to schedule an appointment with my psychiatrist see what is safe to take for anxiety  and panic disorder during pregnancy. Any recommendations?
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
Current Medications
:  
Xanax
Drug Allergies
:  
Acetaminophen
Medical Conditions
:  
Panic disorder
4475871_tn?1355180944
Xanax (alprazolam) is a drug listed by the FDA as Category D, which means there are documented risks of taking the drug during pregnancy. Xanax is in the benzodiazepine drug class. All drugs in this class have been found to have the potential to cause harm to the fetus.

Generally, a safe treatment option for pregnant women treating panic disorder is cognitive behavioral therapy. If this is not adequate alone to treat your symptoms, you should consult with both your obstetrician and psychiatrist to determine the safest drug for your particular situation.

I would not recommend you stop taking xanax abruptly, as this may result in significant withdrawal symptoms. If you plan to stop taking xanax, you should consult with your physician and determine an appropriate taper schedule.
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
242532_tn?1269553979