Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
remeron substitute

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

remeron substitute
I have been prescribed remeron to help the benzos taper. It really helps a lot but I noticed an important weight gain since I take it. I googled it and foud out it was for the treatment of anorexia as well!!!
Having a thyroid condition, I watch out A LOT what I eat, no fat no white sugar and as little carbs as I can. Even with the diet, I did put on about 10 kg in 3 months without changing anything in my diet. I was wondering if there was a medication similar to remeron w/o the weight gain side effect?
Thanx a lot for your time. sophie.
Remeron has been associated with increased appetite and weight gain.  Some antidepressants that causes less weight again include Wellbutrin, Celexa, and Trazodone.  

I have followed your advice and talked to my dr about your alternatives.
I have tried SSRI's in the past (3 different ones Milnacipran, Prozac and Citalopram)  and they just didn't kick in.
Since the remeron had such a good effect on me except for the weight gain, he tried to stay in the same family. He prescribed me trazodone but I had an allergic reaction to it, my heart was bouncing out of my chest.
I am currently on wellbutrin for 3 weeks and I now have some kind of rash, urticaria for 3 days. I just called my dr and he asked me to stop immediately since the rash is around my eyes as well.
He seems to believe that we don't have any options left...
Do you have any advice on which direction I have to go now?
Thank you so much for your help.
Sophie.
Have you tried serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRI's) such as Effexor, Cymbalta, or Pristiq?  Perhaps, this class of drugs may work for you.