Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
side effects

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

side effects
Thank you in advance.
I am on my fourth week of the Topiramate 150mg which I gradually build up starting at 50 mg a day for a week. My side effects are Confusion, concentration problems and of course numbing of the hands and feet which seems to be a common side effect. Do you know if the confusion and concentration problems will get any better the longer I am on the drug or if this is something I am just going to have to live with.  
Thanks again for any insight you may have. Take care.  
There do not appear to be definitive reports in the literature regarding the length of time you should expect to have side effects when taking topiramate. The symptoms you are experiencing are common with topiramate and most commonly occur with higher doses and during rapid titration (build up of dosing). The side-effects are dose related and I would recommend you discuss with your doctor prior to any further increase.

The tolerance and adaptation to the dose-related side effects will vary widely among different patients, and if you feel the confusion and concentration difficulty is impairing your daily life, you may want to discuss with your doctor reducing the dose or converting to a different drug for the management of your migraines.