substitute for cumadin
I am asking for a friend.  Is there an alternative drug to cumadin, for example, plavix?
There are blood-thinning alternatives, but Coumadin is usually the first choice. Some of the alternatives include aspirin, Clopidogrel (Plavix), ticlodipine (Ticlid), dipyridamole (Persantine).  Another alternative is Heparin injection. Different situations require different levels of anticoagulation.  It is important to discuss the best treatment option with a physician.
Thank you.  Your answer with alternatives was very helpful plus corroborating that cumaden is the most effective.  Mu primary physician told me the same thing which will help me in guiding my friend in her discussion with her cardiologist.

Doreen McPhail Kohr