Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
taking synthroid

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

taking synthroid
I take synthroid between 2am and 5am. Now I heard that you must take it the same exact time every day or cancer can come back. Is this true?
It is generally recommended that you take your medications at the same time each day, as a general rule of thumb, this helps the medication to reach a 'steady state' or constant level in your system. With that said, Synthroid (levothyroxine) will remain in your system for a number of days, and so when you take it routinely you will have a steady state that shouldn't be effected much by small variances in when you take the medication.

What is more important is that you take levothyroxine with the same diet each day. It is generally recommended to be taken on an empty stomach, 30 minutes before eating, to help with absorption.