Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
tamoxifen efficacy in extreme environment

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

I have been taking tamoxifen since April '08.  I am supposed to go to a small, remote rural town in southern India at end of December, for 3 weeks.  The temperature could reach 100 degrees Farenheit.  I am staying in the one hotel there with air conditioning. But someone who has been there several times recently told me that electrical power outages are not uncommon there --at the hotel and everywhere in town. This could happen frequently.  I am concerned about my tamoxifen being in 90-degree or 100-degree heat for hours or days or maybe even a week at a time.  What would that do to the drug's efficacy?  Is there any way I can protect the medicine, e.g. special container to keep it in?  If the electricity goes, I assume I also would not have access to ice (i.e. refrigeration).  Which poses another question:  if I could pack the medicine in an insulated container with a re-usable ice pack, would that be too cold for tamoxifen?  Are there medical "ice" packs I can buy that can create cool conditions without needing to be refrigerated? Is there stuff available on the market for people who travel to tough environments and need to take life-saving medications? Thanks in advance for reply.  I'm thinking about canceling the trip over this issue.
Age
:  
55
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
108
Current Medications
:  
tamoxifen, pristiq, klonopin, imitrex
Drug Allergies
:  
neulasta, taxotere, topical penicillin cream
Medical Conditions
:  
history breast cancer --had lumpectomy, chemo and radiation, June '07 through March '08
history anxiety & depression

occasional migraines
Professionally here is the information that I have found out. I spoke with Charles at Barr Pharmaceuticals who claims they have no data to support the efficacy of the medication if it is in temperatures exceeding 86 degrees for longer than 72 hours. American Cancer Institute referred me to the pharmaceutical company. Here is what I can tell you thinking as practically as we can in this situation. You say you are staying in a hotel that has air conditioning that is sporatic. I would suggest the following. Check out products like Ace Instant Cold Compress. It is something that on average costs around $2.50. I would bring with me a few of these packets. These are the kind that you "crack" to activate. Then I would bring some type of thermos. If the heat will be extreme crack the ice pack and stick it in the thermos and place your rx bottle near it ( not up against it but near it ) in the thermos. All it needs to be is under 86 degrees .I would suggest a product like Stanley Thermos Bottle Green 2Qt. It is vacuum sealed. You don't have to purchase them from our site, but you can certainly check out www.drugstore.com to see the products I am talking about. Keep in mind packaging states product should remain stored at controlled room temperature (between 68 and 77 degrees F). Charles did give you the adjusted "travel excursion time" of not over 86 degrees for 72 hours. Best of luck you. Hope this information helps!

Jennifer R  Rph www.drugstore.com