Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
tamoxifen efficacy in extreme environment
About This Forum:

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

tamoxifen efficacy in extreme environment

I have been taking tamoxifen since April '08.  I am supposed to go to a small, remote rural town in southern India at end of December, for 3 weeks.  The temperature could reach 100 degrees Farenheit.  I am staying in the one hotel there with air conditioning. But someone who has been there several times recently told me that electrical power outages are not uncommon there --at the hotel and everywhere in town. This could happen frequently.  I am concerned about my tamoxifen being in 90-degree or 100-degree heat for hours or days or maybe even a week at a time.  What would that do to the drug's efficacy?  Is there any way I can protect the medicine, e.g. special container to keep it in?  If the electricity goes, I assume I also would not have access to ice (i.e. refrigeration).  Which poses another question:  if I could pack the medicine in an insulated container with a re-usable ice pack, would that be too cold for tamoxifen?  Are there medical "ice" packs I can buy that can create cool conditions without needing to be refrigerated? Is there stuff available on the market for people who travel to tough environments and need to take life-saving medications? Thanks in advance for reply.  I'm thinking about canceling the trip over this issue.
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
Current Medications
:  
tamoxifen, pristiq, klonopin, imitrex
Drug Allergies
:  
neulasta, taxotere, topical penicillin cream
Medical Conditions
:  
history breast cancer --had lumpectomy, chemo and radiation, June '07 through March '08
history anxiety & depression

occasional migraines