Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
trazodone and digoxin interaction

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

trazodone and digoxin interaction

I am about to start taking trazodone for depression and panic attacks.  I am also taking 0.25 mg's of digoxin for supraventricular tachycardia.  I have read that trazodone can cause increased absorption of digoxin.  Is it possible to be on both at the same time?  Would it solve the problem if my dose of digoxin was lowered to counteract the increased absorption?
Age
:  
23
Sex
:  
Female
According to the manufacturer, increased digoxin levels have been reported in patients also taking trazodone, however, the clinical significance of this interaction is unknown. Please discuss this with your physician to determine if adjusting the dose of either medication would be appropriate.