Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
what are my rights

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

what are my rights

Ok I am at a loss I got a rx from my Dr. and took it to my kroger pharmacy and had it filled the rx is for 90 pills but my insurance only pays for 85 so I have to pay for the rest so I do this for the other 5 now 2 months later I'm out of refills when I was wrote 5 refills and the pharmacist says the 5 pills I pay for is considered a refill what do I do this medication is for chronic back and neck pain I was diagnosed with cervical spondylosis 7 years ago I have never ran in to this
Age
:  
33
Sex
:  
Male
Weight
:  
168
Dear MichaelChaseSr:

It is difficult for me to explain pharmacy prescription law to you without all the details on what medication are we referring to and what drug benefit insurance plan you have.

Depending on the medication, you may not be able to get all the refills. For example, if the medication is a controlled substance, i.e. Schedule III and IV, "the prescription may only be refilled up to five times within six months after the date of issue. After five refills or after six months, whichever occurs first, a new prescription is required."

If the medication is Schedule II, then there is absolutely NO REFILLS.

Also, per your insurance plan, you may be allowed to fill up to 90 days supply. So, depending how you are taking the medication, the insurance may only pay for 30 days, 60 days, or 90 days supply.

I'd recommend for you to contact your insurance plan, under the Prescription Drug Benefit Department. Ask to speak to a pharmacist and have he/she explained the refills and filled amount according to your drug benefit.

Good luck!