Ask a Pharmacist Expert Forum
who will help? who will give advice on treatment?

Questions in the Ask a Pharmacist Forum are being answered by pharmacists. Topics include: General information on prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, brand drugs, generic equivalents, common uses, drug therapy, drug interactions, possible side effects, travel medications, pill identification and proper disposal of expired, damaged and unusable medications.

severe right shoulder pain I've been in for 3 years now? Which medical professional can advise me on the next step to find  why I'm in this amount of pain and what treatment I can get. After seeing 6 doctors and getting no where I don't know who can help. I'm going round in circles, and getting no where fast.
Age
:  
40
Sex
:  
Female
Weight
:  
7stone
Current Medications
:  
500mg tramadol . cerazette.
Medical Conditions
:  
For 3 years I've had a problem with my right shoulder. Originally they thought I had calcified tendinitis. The ex rays were negative.
In the last 18 months the pain has got worse and has gone into the left side. I have seen numerous  doctors, an advanced physiotherapist a neurologist. I've had physio and seen a chiropractor.
The pain is worse at night, it eases off when I'm active. I've had a pulling pain down my tricep, its agony. I've never known such pain. I've had paralysis in my arm, pins and needles , neck pain. When I sit in a chair or go in the car its painful. When I cuddle my boyfriend its painful.
I had the nerve conduction test on December 28th, they say there is no problem.  I was told by a nurse I have a trapped nerve. I tend to believe her. All my symptoms point in that direction.
The doctors have been useless. I've seen 6 at my local surgery.
I don't know who to go to know for help, this isn't normal. I'm overdosing on tramodol every day.

It is not possible to provide a diagnosis via the internet, but hopefully I will be able to offer some advice on what next steps you can take to alleviate your pain.

It sounds like you have done an extensive workup with various healthcare practitioners in effort to determine the cause of your pain. You may consider maintaining a routine with a physiotherapist in effort to maintain the functionality of your shoulders while seeking further treatment. Arthritic disease usually affects both joints and becomes worse with activity.This does not sound like your presentation, but I would recommend having blood work done by a rheumatologist to rule out arthritis.

I would also recommend a re-evaluation of your pain management regimen, as 500mg of tramadol per day is above the recommended maximum, as you have mentioned. Tramadol primarily works in a similar function to opiates. You may consider alternative approaches, such as treating neuropathic pain (nerve pain) and/or inflammatory pain.

There are many medications available for treating neuropathic pain, some can be taken by mouth and others can be applied topically. You should discuss these approaches with your doctor and determine what is best for you. You may consider Non- steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAIDs) medications to reduce inflammation and pain. These can be taken by mouth or applied topically to the affected joints. A number of NSAIDs can also be found over-the-counter and you can discuss which might be the best choice for your situation.

Thanks for advice. Been to new doc, he told me to go to yoga. Had a lecture on pain, which I know about, it makes me cry. He said I probably have a trapped nerve! I've had the test and its negative, even though I have all the signs. My little finger and next two get the worst pins and needles and numbness. The stabbing, sharp pulling pain in my triceps. The lump of muscle in my shoulder he said would push on the nerve and cause pain.
All bloods are fine. X-ray is good, only a little wear and tear at c6.
I'm at a total loss, I thought I was gonna get an answer or explanation. I want to be able to sleep through the night without waking up in agony, and have a cuddle without pulling away in pain.