Asperger's Syndrome Community
16 year old son with Aspergers please need advice

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

My 16 year old son has been diagnosed with Aspergers.  He has been hospitalized 2 times in the last 6 months with anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts.  He had a girlfriend since last spring and has really spiralled down since they broke up.  She could not handle the rollercoaster of being his girlfriend.  He is difficult to get close to and very rigid in his thinking.  He can not get over the end of this relationship and is really struggling with being "different" and keep saying no one will ever love him and he is going to die alone.  I cant get throught to him and he doesnt really have any friends or other interests other than video games and computers.  He is brilliant and doing well at his academics but struggles with the social part of school.  Is there anyone who has seen this, dealt with this or can give me any advice.  He does take meds and sees a therapist once a week.
WEll, it could be the meds, and then the other part, is probably therapy.  I mean there is no treatment for Aspergers.  The only thing you can do is change the thought patterns.  He needs serious therapy.  Everyone struggles with socializing, that's why it's best not to get involved in relationships, or with someone, just too weird, not worth it.  Work and interests are so much more cooler.  He's scared to let someone in to his fantasy world, if he wants to socialize he has to let go and experience the present and the now.  The best thing for Aspergers is to accept one's eccentricity and be cool with it.  That is very hard.  If he's paranoid then he's mad because he's different and because others perceive him as being different.  He will get better once he realizes that being different is ok, and once he begins to accept his uniqueness.
I do not have any advice- although I certainly can feel your pain.  my son was diagnosed at age 15 and has been hospitalized 7 times in the past yr and has been in a residential program 2 times .. he is on his second stay now .  I am trying to find that magical piece as well.  The fact he is different does not bother me that just makes him more special.  It's just hard to watch then suffer , be isolated and made fun of.  I sure wish I had an answer for you.  I will keep your family in my prayers
As I read your post I can't help, but think about all I put my parent's through with my Asperger's. I was diagnosed at age 10, and I am now 20 years old. What your son is experiencing is not all that different from what I dealt with at his age. I tried multiple times to commit suicide as I had always felt different from others. Having the obsessions and intrests I did made it very difficult for me to connect socially with other kids. Picking up on body language and empathy of others was something that was a big shortcoming in me. My advice to you from what you have posted on would be to make sure he continues to see his therapist. The biggest thing about getting better is getting his viewpoints out to someone else who can understand what he is going through. My parents always made sure that I was going to a counceler of some sort. I would love to help you more, so please feel free to message me if you have any more questions. I also wish you the best of luck in getting your son the help he needs. Things will get better... there is much more support these days than there was when I was his age.