Asperger's Syndrome Community
8 year old son claims to see ghost.

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

8 year old son claims to see ghost.

Ok I was not sure where to post this so I am going to post this in the Children's forum and then in the Asperger forum. If you see it in both places please be patient with me I am not sure where this question lies.

To start from the beginning, my dh, the kids, and I went to a friends house Saturday night. On our way home from our friends house it was late and the other two children had fallen asleep. My 8 year old Asperger son out of the blue mind you says to me and his father, "I need to talk to the preacher,  I have to be baptised right away. I keep seeing ghost all around me and they are scaring me." He said without skipping a beat. "Things happen and people die all the time and sometimes I can see their ghosts. Sometimes I see these scary black ghosts."  Not sure what to say to him all I could do is ask ok describe them to me. He said " the black ones I can't really tell what they are but they are black ghost or spirits I am not sure mom but they are the ones that scare me." " the other ones are just dead people that are ghosts now".  We changed the subject and started talking about other things.

I tried to let him speak to our preacher the next day but my DH just wanted me to ignore what he said and see if it blows over. The only problem is this is not the first time he has told me he sees ghosts. The last time he was about 5 years old and told me he could see a ghost in our house. In a room that not even the animals would go in.

How do I handle this? Do I let him talk to our pastor or do I drop it and see what happens?
Hello Lonely,

My nine year old daughter has Asperger's. She was diagnosed after a pediatric Neuropsych eval. She sees her own therapist to help her talk about her issues. With that said, every day is an adventure with her.

She is sometimes morbidly fascinated with death or religion. She got a children's bible and sat down and read it three times straight through so she could remember it all. She also told us that she wanted to die as a child because it would be more fun to be an angel when she was a child then when she was grown up.

There are times when she really, really wants to go to Sunday school because of fears or concerns she has.

There are times when she "recalls" a memory that none of us have any recollection of it happening.

The tips that her therapists and the evaluators have given to us is that we need to be on her team. We need to first let her know that we understand and that we sympathize. When she says "I'm scared." Our first response should never be, "there is nothing to be scared of". Instead, we should calmly ask her to explain why she is scared and what is causing it. Then to support her and say, "Yes, monsters under the bed can be very scary." Letting her know that we are "on her side" helps calm her down sometimes... then we can talk about what she is feeling and we can try to reassure her and sometimes we just have to leave the lights on.

The thing with our daughter is, reasoning doesn't always work. In fact, logical reasoning often just upsets her if she doesn't think we are getting what she is saying. She also doesn't recognize body language or signals from people, so she will get upset just by the way she perceives our reaction to her reaction.

If my daughter was telling me she was seeing things, such as hallucinations, and she said she wanted to go talk to a priest or a therapist. I would tell her that she absolutely can and make an appointment.

People with Asperger's don't "see the world" the same way average people do. So what a reasonable person thinks is fantasy or unreasonable doesn't always apply to them.

I would try and find out if it's an active imagination or real hallucinations. If it is hallucinations, then he may need to see a doctor or therapist just to make sure he doesn't have something more going on.

I wish you the best of luck and feel free to ask me any questions you might have!
Thank you so much for your help. I did tell him ok describe this to me and told him that he could speak with our pastor the next day in church. He didn't want to when church came around.

Thank you for the advice I will try these suggestions next time he brings it up.
I am very curious as to the outcome of this,  My 13 year old daughter with aspergers is very emphatically telling me that she sees ghosts also.  She has been saying it for quite some time now.  She says only one time have they ever scared her.  
My son is now 10 and still sees ghost, he can describe the person in detail! I do not discourage it or believe other wise. With his disability I believe he is more open to them then say you or I am.
My daughter now 15 and will be 16 in June, who I spoke to you a few years ago still sees these ghosts or spirits.  In fact about 3 weeks ago she saw a vision of her grandfather, my husbands father, while at school.  She became upset and went to the guidance counselor.  They called my husband who then called his Dad and he was fine.  The reasured my daughter that he was fine and se he went back to class.  A week later she told us that he was going to pass soon.  I asked how soon, and she said, I don't know, a week or two. At this time he was still fine.  2 days later he was rushed to the hospital unable to breathe, and yesterday evening he passed away.  I am not sure how she sees or what she sees, but she surely has some kind of connection that I do not have and no  matter how much I try, find it difficult to comprehend.