Asperger's Syndrome Community
Adult son with Aspies or Narcissistic??

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Adult son with Aspies or Narcissistic??

I recently had an appointment with a Neuro Psychologist regarding my son, whom I thought was narcissistic. After answering many questions the Dr suggested Aspergers!
My son is now 21. he always did excellent in school until high school. He was diagnosed with juvenille diabetes in 9th grade. He started talking early, and is very athletic. He was always VERY picky about foods, the feel of clothing or sheets on his skin, textures, he has no empathy for others, he does look you in the eye when communicating, he lies a lot, even if you catch him in a lie he is very convincing. He has anger issues. He had punched the walls in our home, he has thrown several cell phones agains the walls. It is near impossible to try and reason with him. He has a sence of entitlement that drives me crazy. For instance, if I'm doing laundry and he decides to do laundry, he will take my clothes out of the washer, mid wash cycle, with soap still on them, and put his clothes in. I feel like he's wired wrong. He just doesnt get it. I dont yell and scream....although I want too! I try to reason with him to no avail.

What do you think??

Thank you so much. I want the best for my son, and want to learn how to deal with this situation so he can be a strong, happy adult.

Im at my witts end! I will see the Dr next week.
Tags: adult, aspergers, narcissistc